Power through the winter months
Nov 05, 2021 | Blog
With the colder days and darker nights, not to mention cold and flu season upon us, supporting ourselves and loved-ones physically and mentally is not easy.
Finding quick wins to boost motivation and neutralise stress levels to make sure you don’t get run down is a must, here are a few easy tips to remember…
- Cook with spices - ginger, garlic, basil, cinnamon and turmeric – not only are they warming, but they’re antioxidising too, helping your body fight away damaging free radicals.
- Get a vitamin hit with fresh, healthy food – soup is a great option, even when comfort food is calling – Keep an eye on our FB page for easy homemade recipes.
- Warm up with a hot drink. Herbal teas such as green tea or rooibos are antioxidising or why not try a lemon and chamomile drink for a relaxing drink before bed? Even a hot chocolate is an antioxidising treat… just maybe not every day!
- Keep moving and workout - it will keep you warm, motivated and help reduce stress. Plus boost your immune system by circulating white blood cells.
- Wake up with porridge. It sees you fuller for longer and help keep your energy up when the darkness is making you tired and sluggish. The fibre will help protect your digestive system while boosting your immune system too.
- Keep the family wrapped-up! Escape life's stresses with a nice family walk. Fresh air works wonders for your mood and wellbeing and the same for the kids. But stay warm, wear a scarf, gloves, and plenty of layers.
- Natural light – make the most of the daylight hours and fresh air to help your mind and your immune system too.
- Wash your hands. We've all been reminded over the past year about the importance of washing our hands, sanitising and trying not to touch too many surfaces - let's keep it up!
- Call a friend or neighbours who may not be able to get out because of cold weather – check they are warm, eating well, and just have a chat as the long winter months can make people feel lonely. A little call can give them a boost… and you too!
Finally… Do something that makes you smile! Whether that’s getting out in the garden, reading a book, completing a workout, doing a craft or eating your favourite pudding, taking that time do so something that makes you smile, can really help you face the challenges head-on.
Need MORE motivation?
Check out our free monthly fitness challenges over on the More Fitness App or visit our to find a workout to suit you.